Thursday, February 22, 2007

Finality

My small room's space had become filled as I made a few calls and some... items... were delivered in the dead of night.

Now I just had to make it final. No more guesswork, no more foolishness. I was done with that. Sometimes you just have to up the ante - and that's what I did. I ate a cold bowl of cereal and trekked down to the basement. The boxes were rather heavy, and it took me a few trips. Once I thought I saw someone up the staircase as I climbed.

The door had been camoflaged in the past, and I now had to destroy the careful concealment of the old door to the hidden basement. The papers were there, but I had no clue where they were exactly, and a search group would have raised too many questions with that many old locks - too many loud noises from under the earth as each would have had to be cut through. Our resources were already lessened. These secrets COULD NOT get out.

I brought in the boxes and began to wire enough material to destroy the room completely, chucking at what Mamet was think of his lot after I was through.

But there was a noise. I had only wired a few of the pieces - the rest were still sitting in the basement next door. But it was enough. Enough to end it at least, if not to destory the harder stone I knew were in the room. This all had been rediculous, but now control was mine. And NO ONE would take it.

I hid myself in the shadows as the bumbling Italian picked through the dust as if it was going to consume his immortal soul. He walked in and stared around the room, forgetting the filth around him, for how filthy rich he thought he was.

Thought.

I stepped forwards in eager trepetation. He turned, startled, and asked for my name. I chose to allow him a moment of clarity before his death, but he didn't understand. He didn't, COULDN'T know why I had to do what he did. Fool he was, and he would die a fool. I would never trust him. You can't really trust anyone. The only person you can rely on is yourself, and I could do that no longer. Not with my own error. My own imperfection.

I hit the button.

No comments: